Get your original paper written from scratch starting at just $10 per page with a plagiarism report and free revisions included!
ExxonMobil and Walmart Go to finance.yahoo.com and download the ending monthly stock prices for ExxonMobil (XOM), and Walmart (WMT) for the specified time period (TIME PERIOD: September 30, 2016 – September 30, 2021). Use the adjusted closing price, which adjust for dividend payments and stock splits. Data: Go to finance.yahoo.com and search for the companies using their ticker symbols (XOM and WMT) and then click on the “Historical Data” on the menu. Set Time Period as September 30, 2016 – September 30, 2021, choose “Monthly” for frequency and use “Adj Close” prices.
1. Calculate monthly returns for ExxonMobil and Walmart for this period.
2. Calculate the average return, variance, and standard deviation of returns for each firm. (Use Excel’s AVERAGE, VAR and STDEV functions.)
3. Which stock is riskier if held on its own? Why?
4. Assume that you held an equally weighted portfolio of ExxonMobil and Walmart (i.e., a portfolio with equal dollar investments in each stock). Compute the portfolio’s rate of return for each month, and calculate the variance and standard deviation of the portfolio’s monthly rate of return.
5. Is the portfolio standard deviation more or less than the average of the standard deviations of the two component stock?
6. What are the betas provided by finance.yahoo.com for each firm? Which stock has more systematic risk?